Modern

Monday, October 19, 2009

Whip Out Your Slap Bracelets People

A proud Gen Y-er, my first tapes were Whitney Houston , The Bangles (Eternal Flame , anyone??) and Belinda Carlisle .  I rocked sweatbands, stirrup pants, Body Glove, acid washed jeans and Hypercolor t-shirts.  My hair was permed, and for a while, my eyeshadow was blue (until Aunt Peggy told us it was a no-no).


So you can only imagine my glee over seeing the resurgence of 80's fashion.  Shoulders, neon, asymmetric hems, even Hammer pants...it's all back!  And I'm loving it!


Here's a video from Harper's showing the trends at different shows.   



Some of these trends may seem a little hard to pull off, but just don't try to do them all at once.  Think a great neon shoe or a cute cropped jacket with strong shoulders (à la Ferris' love, Sloane). 





4 comments:

  1. I love the 80's, but I don't wanna wear shoulder pads. Don't forget about rocking snap bracelets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok so i thought I commented on this last night when I couldn't sleep - but apparently didn't go through. love your blog!! have you heard of ideeli.com or salemail? they are great. you probably knew about them like 5 years ago so don't laugh at me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Libs! Change the background!!! It's ew! But I am loving the blog! I am looking forward to more posts about how you manage your own wardrobe. I am so fashion-retarded! That must be a Wallum gene!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know! The background is a little insane, but it was so 80's, I couldn't resist!

    AJ, I love Ideeli!! Haven't seen salemail, but I'll have to check it out. Rue La La, Shop it to Me & Beyond the Rack are good, too.

    Lisa, you can so pull off the strong shoulders!!

    ReplyDelete